Wednesday, December 27, 2006

HOLIDAY MOVIE REVIEWS

What a great holiday movie season. So many movies worth seeing during the break...here are some thoughts on some of the movies I've seen so far...

WE ARE MARSHALL.....This movie is such a great story. It is so much more than a plane crash that killed 75 football players, coaches, fans and crew. This tells the story of how a city had to bounce back. After seeing the movie, I looked up the real people and stories from that crash in 1971 and I was pleasantly surprised that Hollywood didn't change the story at all. There are also several Ohio connections and references. The coach who took over the program after the crash came from WOOSTER COLLEGE. This is a great story that needed to be told..it's much more than just a sports movie....

ROCKY BALBOA...after the debacle known as ROCKY 5, this one gets it right. I'm a sucker for this formula and was pumped when I left the theatre. As much as the concept of this movie is a great punchline, it's actually not. It's worth seeing. It's why we go to the movies.


HAPPY FEET...cool effects. The story was a snooze fest. Not may favorite kids movie at all. For some reason, it should have been better. I expected it to be much funnier with Robin Williams as one the main voices.

CHARLOTTE's WEB.."I LOVED IT" my daughter Gabby says. She read the book and says it's one of her favorite movies.

THE GOOD SHEPPARD...Long...2 hours and forty minutes...good story...bring someone with you to explain it. It moves kinda slow, but the story calls for it. I love these kind of movies, but only liked this one a lot.

The Pursuit of HappYness...Yes, they spell it with a "Y". This is a great feel good movie. WILL SMITH's best performance. His real son is in this and is great. On a side note, at the very end of the movie, look closely, and you will see the guy who WILL SMITH plays walk by. This movie is great in a simple way.

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM..once I learned this was more of a kids movie, I felt better about it. Gabby loved it. It is fun. If you are going as adults and no kids, uh, be prepared to be disappointed. But again, fun family movie.

What movies have you seen? Respond to the blog below by clicking on "comments". Would love your thoughts on these and other movies.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should go see Blood Diamond. I think you would like it. I saw it, I think its a movie that people should see. My sister went to Wooster and so did her husband. Funny tie to that movie, my uncle also went to Wooster. The coach who came from Wooster to coach at Marshall...he was my uncles football coach and he recruited him. haha Isn't that cool?

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allan,

Being from WV and having lived in Huntington a short time I just had to see We Are Marshall. I loved the movie because it showed how we stick together in our communities there. I was very proud when everyone in Cobblestone theater clapped when the movie was over.
I also wanted to let you know also that my son in law's brother graduated from Marshall in May. He was attending Marshall during the taping and told me that Matthew McConaghy was not very nice to the townspeople in Huntington. He said Matthew was stand-offish and he was a "very" bad tipper, business people didn't care for him.
It disappointed me because I have always liked his movies.

Have a nice day!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home