Wednesday, March 28, 2007

WOMEN'S SPORTS EQUAL TO MEN??

With the women's FINAL FOUR tournament coming to town this weekend, we discussed the importance of women's sports on the show this morning. One of our listeners suggested that women's sports are not as important as men's sports.
I couldn't disagree more. Women's sports continue to grow and create role models and build confidence in young women all across the country. No, women don't get all the recognition the deserve (yet), but I have seen several examples at the U-8 soccer level as a coach. Having an 8-year-old daughter play soccer has been one of the best experiences of my life and my daughter's life. Watching Gabby's confidence build each season has been so exciting. Having boys and girls play on the same team as equals has been a great learning experience for everyone involved. Men's sports may get all the big TV coverage, but in the trenches, men's and women's sports are equally as important. Women's sports have made great strides not only in basketball and soccer, but also in golf and even auto racing. I'm encouraged by more and more female sports role models for my daughter. Sports represents health and competition. My hope is that women are treated equally when it comes to funding programs at every level. I encourage your comments. Please click on the comment link below and let me know your thoughts.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allan,

I love listening to you and Rebecca on the way to work each morning. You guys crack me up every morning! My husband laughs at me each night when I give him updates about what is talked about on Wild & Fee, like it's national news. :)

I am a U13 girls soccer coach in Willoughby and am a big believer in the benefits of women's sports. Enjoyed the show this morning. I would love to see if you guys could promote the US Women's National Team coming on June 16 to Browns Stadium...I'm not sure what you can do but even just mentioning it.. maybe see if you can get tickets to give away.. maybe get an interview with one of players the Friday before, since they usually come in a few days early to practice....I think you had Brandi Chastain on before.
ussoccer.com has more details. US vs. China...It's going to be an exceptional match... two of soccer's biggest rivals.

It could be a great father/daugher outing since it's the day before Father's Day. I'm taking my dad, who was my first coach over 18 years ago... and he still comes and watches me play, now.... althought I'm a lot slower.

I think Cleveland will be surprised how many people come out for this event; but I hope it gets some good press, too.

Thanks for any considerations,

Julia S

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I just wanted you to know that According to Jim last night had the very issue you brought up yesterday.

The show was about Jim’s wife coaching Ruby’s and Gracie’s basketball team called the Hummingbird’s.

They played other teams for “fun” and each team would receive a trophy at the end of the game because there were no winners or losers. Then the girls would have to get in a circle (both teams) to share what another teammate did positive during the game.

Obviously this made Jim mad and he took over the team from his wife Cheryl. He started training the girls making them run laps and said that there were only winners and that you have to play tough and sports was about competition and not having “fun”.

It was funny but sad that he being the male was teaching the girls to be aggressive and winning was all that mattered. He even complimented his one daughter.

Should you have any questions or wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact the undersigned.

Very truly yours,

Deb D

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard your discussion on boys sports this week

There is a new Soccer Pro team coming to Cleveland.

Keeping them here is going to require Cleveland Fan's support

The women's Soccer Pro team folded because of lack of Fan support.

John
High School Soccer Official

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home